Google+

Monday, June 9, 2014

Ontario Small Flock Chicken Appeal Re-launched

The decision has been made.  I will be re-filing my appeal of CFO's small flock regulation to the Ministry of Agriculture Appeals Tribunal.

When I received the ruling from the Tribunal on my appeal, I immediately sent a copy of the ruling to the various agriculture publications and reporters.  Among others, Susan Mann of Better Farming did an interview of me, and wrote an article on the appeal and the Tribunal's decision.

Since that time, there has been a lively debate on BF's website about the issues; making it the most lively issue on BF's website.

That prompted me to make the following posting on BF today, announcing my decision:
Eighteen days have passed since BF's posted this article on May 22, 2014.  In that time interval, a total of 81 comments have been made by numerous people.

My original appeal to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Appeals Tribunal presented evidence on all of the wrongful acts of Chicken Farmers of Ontario ("CFO") and the chicken Supply Management system overall.  While that comprehensive appeal was rejected by the Tribunal, the Tribunal invited me to re-file my appeal on the limited grounds of the 300 bird small flock exemption Regulation.

I have monitored all the comments made here, and attempted to respond, question, or defend the principles behind the appeal I filed with the Tribunal, complaining against the alleged illegal, negligent, and mis-guided actions of Chicken Farmers of Ontario ("CFO").

After the ruling of the Tribunal was released, I asked for opinions on what should be done next (if anything).  I received nothing but encouragement to continue.  In spite of this encouragement, I do not look forward to another appeal, for I see it as sticking my head into the gaping jaws of a hungry lion.

Some comments made here were off topic, but most expressing worthy opinions on this important issue.

The debates held here have assisted me in considering and preparing the necessary arguments and reasons as to whether a renewed appeal should be made.

In my opinion, there have been no arguments presented here that have persuaded me to change or abandon my principles and logic behind the original appeal.

I thank everybody for your input, and for providing me the ability to defend, practice, and hone my skills and persuasive arguments.

In spite of my reluctance and reservations, I believe that re-filing my appeal must be done for the greater good of all.

I therefore hereby announce that I will be re-filing my appeal within the 60 days allowed by the Tribunal.  I have already started re-drafting the Notice of Appeal this weekend.  When the draft is ready, I will post it on SFPFC's Blog for review and comments before the final version is submitted to the Tribunal.

Glenn Black
Small Flock Poultry Farmers of Canada ("SFPFC")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Off-topic commercial spam that's posted so as to help sell your wares will be deleted.

On-topic comments, where you behave yourself and play nicely, will remain posted; whether they are pro or con. Everybody needs to fully understand all points of view so that we can find a solution that encompasses everybody's concerns. Give it your best shot.

If you decide to post, your posting becomes part of the public record, and SFPFC has full rights to use it (or not) in any reasonable manner or medium that suits our purposes.

Before posting, please proofread, and correct as necessary. If you subsequently discover a need to fix your previous posting, make an additional posting that refers to the original posting, then set the record straight.